Friday 6 January 2012

The RM1 Story

  It was a long time ago, way back then when i was only a mere kid, 7 years old to be exact when i was then enrolled in Pei Hwa primary school, soon finding myself ending up in 1M class. At that time, there was nothing much for me but merely RM1 per day to school due to my family's poor financial circumstances during those years back then.



  So, it was a plate of 40cent fried mee for me everyday as my breakfast, which to me was more than appealing compared to only dry bread everyday. The remaining money was kept safely in my piggy bank, hoping one day I will have my own financial base in future (its still on top of my cupboard, and it is always getting full!).


  Hence, remembering vividly on what happened that day was, like any usual day, i was on my way to the school canteen. On approaching, a luxurious smell soon whipped me from my head to toes, my fav! Loh mai gai (glutinous chicken rice). Like no any other, it was one of the delicacies that i used to enjoy hell since when. It really challenged my taste buds to get hold of one and my tummy seems to be appealing to the idea. Then the heartbreaker, standing between me and my breakfast was a signboard stating--- RM2 per piece. It was like the earth started shattering beneath me. Gasping at my single note, i soon found myself standing at one corner, staring at those who could afford it. I was a cry-baby then, and tears did fill up every corner of my eye-sockets. It was devastating.



  Then out of nowhere, i was soon staring at another RM1 note right in front of my face. It was him, which at that time was no different from me in terms of stature and size. He which i soon found out, was my classmate, though i didn't really know him as he was the quiet type in class. Joy, happiness, delight, you describe it, it was all written on my face, and it was too, being projected on his face as well. It was no later then that we found ourselves sitting next to each other, enjoying a meal two new friends could ever have.



  Due to that incident, i soon got to know him, his character, his personality, everything. It was like we were destined to meet and there was nothing that could part us. But i spoke too soon as a month later, he broke to me that he and his family will be shifting to the US. At the time, i was naive, thinking that he would soon return and we would see each other again. However, when he left, he left without breathing a word, and as for me, i was still looking forward to returning the RM1 to him. 



  Time passes by so quickly, and soon, about 12 years passed by in a flash. My memory was wiped clean of his existance and i couldn't even remember his name clearly. And as i was walking through the pasar malam held in conjungtion for Keat Hwa's 100th anniversary celebration, i was soon called upon by an unknown figure. He was a stranger to me at first, but when he took out a piece of RM1, my jaw dropped shocked, Him! 


  I was touched much at that time, i stared at him and he stared right back. Am i really looking at him? Alas, all doubt was set aside and we soon found ourselves enjoying coffee and catching up old times. It was great to know, he still remembered me after all those years. Then, as if history repeated itself 12 years ago, i soon found myself pushing a RM1 note into his hands. How he refused and rejected, but alas, he accepted as well. It was destiny, and i really am gratefull to that because, as what he done 12 years ago, he soon left for the US a day after we met. 



  Today, my mum cooked loh mai gai for my family, and looking at the big pot of loh mai gai certainly did get my eyes all watery. That RM1 note though, be it a mere RM1 note, be it meaningless to others, be it meaningless to return to him now, but it certainly has made my day 12 years ago, filling up my hungry tummy, and also, bringing two different personalities together as a whole. To me, it is as meaningful as it can get, and i really thank him for his kind deed 12 years back....




Note: This blog was created on Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 3:10am, and now I've re-post this on this blog.
Happy reading XD

Singing off: Nickel

No comments:

Post a Comment