Wednesday 16 January 2013

MMU Buddhist Society Dhamma Camp 2013, 缘之家





  Well, been so busy throughout this posting of O&G that I couldn't catch a breath to actually update SOMETHING here lately! Stress and stuff, that really got mii running for life to catch up with the unforgiving time. Anyway, that aside, not too long ago I had the chance to join MMU Cyberjaya Buddhist Society's Dhamma Camp. It was a 3 days 2 nights programme held in the compounds of the Malaysian Buddhist University Campus in Bentong, Pahang.












  OK, let's be frank here. I joined this camp for two main reasons. 1: To actually step out of my rountined, bustling life into a serene, stress-free, ambiance of nature. And 2: My dear friend Dr Chee Onn, MMU Buddhist Society's teacher adviser kinda 'persuaded' (tipu mii to go, opps, u did not see that XD) my presence to the camp. And the next thing I knew, I was already all packed and all-systems-go a night before then.







  I was notified to contact the society's president, Jian An before hand, and honestly his voice on the phone did not quite match his physique when I met him faced on. Shook hands, a little intro, throw in a few chats, and I'm off to explore around. Still, we were ordered to gather around a pyramidal building in MMU, awaiting the arrival of the bus, I tried to communicate, and of course I met the ex-president, Ben. New faces were all around, and erm, honestly besides from the ones I mentioned, I knew none of them!








  When the bus arrived, I remembered getting onto the bus and that's all. Don't freaking ask mii what happen next coz I was deeply asleep throughout the 2-hour journey. Seems like not sleeping well for the past 3 days due to on-calls, assignments, case write ups and stuff had really taken it's toll on this human body. Rest is needed, and when the bus came to a halt, I wished I could just sleep in there, like, FOREVER!




Registration



  Alight the bus and behold, in the midst of the un-earthened nature, the campus, hidden amongst the lush greens of the forest in Bentong, Pahang. Honestly did not knew such a place existed, and bewildered by its serene beauty was I. Greeted by the Master there (In Mandarin we called them Sifu), we were shown around the campus and also briefed through about our accommodations and stuff, rules and you know the rest. And guess what, our accommodations were allocated in bunkers that are only reached by climbing 365 steps up the hill-side. What a way to start a good night sleep.









Serene beauty





365 Steps!!!



  Yea, Dhama Camp, expect it to be more on prayers and teaching of the Buddha. Mii being a devoted Buddhist, I felt relaxed and stress-free throughout those prayers, cast aside all those stressful, ugly, and evil thoughts, I felt contented after such a long time. Ohya, our meals were all vegetarian, and living the Buddhist way of life has its rules and styles as well. During meals, we pray, yes yes that's normal. We give thanks, yes yes, that's also normal. Then comes the cool part, we were taught and guided to eat our meals in silence. Why? Well, to understand this, one would have to know about the hungry ghosts. I could explain more but I timed myself to get this blog done in 1 hour so, skip this for now. :)




Lining up for 'wen xun'.






Arrangement is important too!




  Besides just eating in silence, we were also taught how to do different signals for different kinds of orders, Example, you wanna add more rice to your bowl, instead of just shouting out to ask for a refill, chopsticks were used to signal to let people know of what you want and etc. Stuff like that, I really was fascinated, even was when we were taught not to waste not even a single drop of rice or soup. Learnt a lot, something you couldn't get from mere textbooks.




Distributing food






I'm followed by paparazzi, seriously!

















  Soon after, we were all and ready for the ice-breaking session. It was night then and the cold-forest wind just made mii shiver at times. A few games to start off with and everyone was soon starting to make conversations. As for mii, I knew none of them, and I got off to a slow start. (If only they knew crazy I am with people whom I know well, Muahahahahahhahah!) And the self-intro part was even worst. With everyone's courses having something to do with Multimedia and arts, I was the odd one out. So, I was then not known for my name, instead they called mii Doctor, which honestly I hoped they would not because I still am not qualified to be called that way, nor am I fit to be one just yet. Still, for easy remembrance and first-time-meeting's sake, I'll let that slip just this once. Wonder how they're gonna call mii when I and my course mates were to be together then. XD




Having fun!





Singing?









  A climb up the terrifying 365 stairs, a cold midnight bath and I soon joined forces with my bed. Le body couldn't take it anymore, nor will it withstand another challenge. Lights out and goodnighhhhhhhhh..........ttttt it's morning already! Shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 6am, morning rush, a cold bath to add (Really must mention about the  long, jumping, slimy, blood-sucking creatures a.k.a leaches out for blood in the early morning in them bathrooms! Gives mii the jitters whenever I think about that!), and we were soon climbing down the stairs for our morning chants and prayers.




















  Breakfast and after that, a class about the Teaching's of Buddha was commenced. Normally, I myself would sleep in any class, any how, any posture, anywhere. But this amazingly, I gave my full attention just for this. Yeah, couldn't deny that I almost dozed off a few times, but these teaching's were too hard to miss, makes mii understand of my presence, my current situation and my surroundings, Karma! Yeap, that controls it all.















Giving classes









  Right after, we had our lunch and soon we were divided into groups to each act out a showpiece to portray the theme of out camp, 缘之家。Don't know how to translate into English, but it's more on how fate brings us together as a whole in this one wonderful place. Being one of the oldest members there, I really thought of all those good times I've had during camps with my friends, all that fun, all that freedom, now all vanished within sight, plunged into the lost darkness. Then here comes responsibility, here comes hard work, here comes maturity, and here comes challenges, bah!




Hmmmm........






Okay ~~~~~






When games turn violent, a protest!














  Schedule for that night was our performance, we then proceeded with the station games. Many times I really thought I was too old for this, really couldn't retrieve my inner youth that I used to have. Moreover, I needed more time to bond with these new friends, hence I was really not in the mood at that time, and for that I'm sorry, :(.  Anyway, we ended up smiling right back to our bunkers and started to prepare for the show night.



My group mates










  Last minute preparations were never great (unless when you do assignments and everything, every idea just seems to pop out of your head), and my group certainly hadn't got the flow towards our 'drama'. It was drastic but, who cares as long as everyone had fun, right? The other groups were awesome, truthfully speaking, but my group mates did well too! Hence, a big clap for everyone who played a part that night.




Special thanks.......





..... for both of your hard work! XD




  It was then after that I started to bond well with them others, started to get the feeling of this camp. After our 'show', we were taught on meditation techniques by Dr. Chee Onn and I thought that was great and would really help mii in my future up-comings. We then lunged into a sharing session conducted by Ru Shuen  in which tears were spilled, laughter was shared and emotions were in the mix and everyone had a chance to pour out our feelings one by one. It really was a great session as it gave each a chance to lift the burden off one's chest and start the new year anew and fresh.




Meditation guidance by Dr Chee Onn






Peace!




  After that, we placed our wishes on traditional lanterns, lit them up and released them one by one into the starry sky. With our wishes floating up into the heavens, and the sight of the lanterns lilting up, shinning through fluffy clouds, it was really was a moment to treasure; a moment to ponder upon the future; and a moment to savour somewhat of unlimited happiness. For some it may be the end of all hardships, while for others, it's a sign of a new beginning. OK, don't forget that 365 steps up to the bunkers, and all were soon logger-heads come morning.




Wishes on lanterns






Let go......






Fly........






Oh! The 'best person in the world' also has a wish of her own? XD













May all be well and happy always!















  As the fun came to a climax, time came to it's end. The last morning of this camp was soon greeted by strokes of Chinese drums and ancient-like bells. Q&A sessions were made, and whatever that we did not understand about Buddhism was forwarded to a Master and was well replied of the answers. I really enjoyed that session a lot, gained and learnt a lot did I from it. It was a whole new experience, or rather one I should have embrace long ago. After that, we sang a few songs and had a few more chats. After lunch, we soon packed our stuff and headed towards the exit of the campus, the same way we used to walk in. A few pictures were taken, and with our heads held high, we ended this very successful Dhama Camp.




Truth of Buddhism





Dr Chee Onn showing off his skills! haha!



  Although for myself, it was hard at first in a new environment with a new bunch of people. I got the hang of it after some-while. Besides, got to know a few nice and funny people, and oh ya, I really must mention that I met a self-proclaimed 'Best person in the world', Angeline Lam! Haha! Still she is a very nice person. Same goes to the others ~~ Ah Heng (damn funny guy), Tze Kang, Yin Hui, Kenny, Henry, Goldwin and his little girlfriend, an old friend and fellow Kedah-an Ru Shuen, Gary, Wan Wan and many others. (Please forgive mii if I've forgotten any of you). It was awesome to be part of this family and I really appreciated it. Thx!





























Signing off,

Nickel Low CJ

2 comments:

  1. Dear everyone,
    We would like to inform everyone about Ven. Ashin Indaka who monk from Myanmar, now he is in Samnak Sambodhi Buddhist Temple, No. 19 Jalan 38 Taman Desa Jaya, Kepong, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and he asked some money from devotees with who want to become monks in every Chinese New year, for who want to be a monk need to pay RM400 in seven day but now he changed idea to decrease of pay about Rm250 because so many devotees complaint to Temple committee members

    In internet, many people comments and complaints but Ven. Ashin Indaka still do same things, why he is not shaming to Buddha and Buddha’s disciples, anyone able researching on name “VEN. ASHIN INDAKA” and president of Temple also done same “YIP KUM FOOK (MCA GOMBAK)”, this MCA man cheating Temple money and playboy

    Hope everyone be careful about both of them (Ven. Ashin Indaka and Yip Kum Fook) and we love and save of Buddhist in Malaysia

    Malaysia Buddhist Organisation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Devotees,

    Before I commence of my letter-writing toward. All of you, I would like to inform all of you that I am not satisfy with the lawyer, Dato YIP KUM FOOK (MCA chairman Gombak) due to his bad inspirit impressions because he sent an inspector to come to our SAMNAK SAMBODHI BUDDHIST TEMPLE, 19 Jalan 38 Taman Desa Jaya Kepong, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to arrest me without any good reason, moreover, the lawyer, YIP KUM FOOK is not satisfy with Chief monk.

    When the Chief monk had me to go to his Temple already and he went away and left me alone to take care until Chief monk come back to the Temple first and he also told me not to leave the Temple if any committees or the chairman want to chase me out, you don’t leave the Temple at all understand? Then I said, alright? To the chief monk! On the second Day, YIP KUM FOOK(MCA Man) came to our Temple and talk to me. He tired to make some inquiry from me and he asked me, where I come from? I told him that I came from Penang.

    Then, I told to the lawyer (YIP KUM FOOK, MCA Man) that the chief monk came to Penang and fetch me and invited me to accompany him to go to his temple in K.L. I am not aware that YIP KUM FOOK(MCA chairman Gombak) is not in a good terms with the chief monk, chief monk already in this way, YIP KUM FOOK try to create trouble with me unnecessary. That is why, the lawyer want to chase me out of the Temple. Then I asked the lawyer, why you want to chase me out of the temple? Moreover, the Temple is not belonging to you, UNDERSATAND? Then, I asked him, who are you? I don’t know you at all, you have no right to chase me or control me at all, UNDERSTAND? You are just like a layman only. Do you know the regulations that any the chairman or committee cannot control the monks and the Nuns at all, also UNDERSTAND?

    I scolded him like that. Then the lawyer (YIP KUM FOOK, MCA Man) is not satisfy with me and he told me that he will called the police to come to the Temple and arrest me. I told him to go ahead and called the police to come and arrest me. I won’t run away, I said to him like that. I have done nothing wrong toward you, why you want to arrest me? He said, he doesn’t like me to stay here. I asked him, why? Again. After this he got very angry with me, then he phoned up to the police and the police came to the Temple and told me to leave the Temple.

    I told to the inspector of the again, I am sorry, I won’t leave the Temple because the chief monk had instructed me not to leave the Temple without his consent, UNDERSTAND? Then the inspector told me to leave, again. I told him I cannot leave the Temple because the Chief Monk hasn’t come back yet. This time, the inspector got very angry with me and he took out his handcuff and try to threaten me, then I immediately show off my hands for him to lock me up but he scare, then again, the inspector told me leave the Temple again but I still don’t want to leave the Temple.

    Then I phoned up to the chief monk again and I told him that the inspector insisted want to arrest me, you better come back to settle the case for me. After this incident, Chief Monk came back to the Temple and take me to go to another temple and stay their. That’s all about this incidents! Last of all, I would like to inform all of you, that no committees or the chairman can control all the monks and Nuns at all also UNDERSTAND? “They are higher than the King,” also! So how can the laymen, the committees and the chairman to control them: – EVEN THE KING ALSO RESPECTED THE MONKS AND NUNS. Why the chairman doesn’t respect the monks and nuns? They will carry the sins later on, UNDERSTAND?

    Yours in Dhamma

    Ven. Phra Piya Thammo
    Penang, Malaysia

    FORWARDED BY SRI LANKA BUDDHIST SENTUL, KUALA LUMPUR

    ReplyDelete