Friday 30 November 2012

Rise Of The Guardians, Childhood Memories Unfolded!



  It was like this, after my exam, alone with my other friend Johnny in Seri Manjung and planning to go back only the next morning as it was quite late to depart anyway that day. And to decide what we were gonna do to spend our remaining time in Seri Manjung, Johnny actually (he never has the initiative to ask anyone to movies, nor does he like taking a trip to cinemas, this may be his 1st somehow who knows why) suggested we catch a movie that night. After weighing out the decision between 'Rise Of The Guardians' and 'Life Of PI', we decided on the former and got on the 9.50pm seats in Big Cinemas Seri Manjung.





  Turns out, I enjoyed the movie more than I expected I would, simply because the characters used in the movie deeply represents each and every childhood memory I had back in those days. Magical and amazing, it certainly had its catching points, hilarious scenes and also, the 'Believe' that crept into the hearts of many, at least for mii it did, since it last lingered in the soul of my wonderful childhood. Here's the casts, Guardians as they called it in the movie, each with a unique touch to my memory.





1. Sandman (Sandy)

  In my opinion, Sandman has given mii an implication since I was a child, of a big, sandy-being putting children of the world to sleep with its magical sleeping dust. Even in Spiderman, Sandman was a big, ugly monster terrorizing the lives citizens. However, Sandman in here, is nothing like it. Cute, cuddly perhaps and of course, sandy, he's the one bringing sand and dust to life with his magical wave of his hands. In fact, being able to bring sweet dreams to the little kids made mii remember the times when my mum puts mii to bed, a kiss on the forehead and saying that Sandman might pay mii a visit if I were a good boy. At least that puts mii to rest, relieving mii of the thought of having nightmares back then.










2. Tooth Fairy (Tooth)

  This is another childhood fantasy which I believed in very much. I remembered putting my broken tooth under my pillow, only to find an RM10 note under it the next morning. Of course as a child with wild fantasies, I believed straightaway that she was real back then. Not until I caught my mum sneaking into my room one day, and well, she was the 'tooth fairy' to be exact. In this movie, a sweet, beautiful fairy with her little fairies beside, she had a crush on Jack Frost, that I thought, and it was nice to think that all teeth kept under pillows were actually kept in boxes holding wonderful childhood memories of each loving child.  Nevertheless, the tooth fairy certainly gave mii memories to treasure, after all, it was the easiest way to make money right? XD










3. Easter Bunny (Bunny Mund)

  Easter wasn't really celebrated in our country back then. All I've heard and learnt about the Easter Bunny was mostly on movies, Enid Blyton story books and cartoons. Still, those painted eggs and the fantasy of a rabbit hiding them in every nook and cranny got mii fascinated. I remembered those good times when my aunt would get some painted, chocolate Easter eggs from Auckland  for us siblings. And of course the chocolate bunny itself, although I'll always end up eating its ears first then ts bushy tail. Well, in this movie, the Easter Bunny was the most unpredictable one. Fierce, cool, Rambo-like and amazingly good in combat, he's one to watch out for. I actually like the way he teleports himself from one place to another, a good way to travel I thought.










4. Boogeyman (Pitch)

  As the antagonist in this movie, I'm sure many children have at least heard about the Boogeyman. Bad dreams, nightmares and scary thoughts, all flung towards the responsibility of the Boogeyman by children of the world. Hiding under beds, behind cupboards and walls, it certainly creeped mii out when I was a kid anyway. Now backtracking, I thought that it was one of my mum's best ways to keep mii all goody goody and nice till I'm all curled up into bed. 'Don't let the Boogeyman find you', those words haunted mii when I was a kid, but now anyway, I still had bad dreams, and Boogeyman was nothing but what was once my greatest fears locked up in my memories. In this movie as well, you'll get to know his role, but kids, do not worry. When there's bad, there's always good. There's Boogeyman, then there's Sandman, and the good thing is, Good always wins over Evil. ^-^







5. Santa Claus (North)

  The most favourite character in all childhood fantasies! Who wouldn't know him? Even up till now, I still believed in his existence. Every Christmas, there would be movies about Christmas magic, and who would be the main star if not him? Delivering presents to children of the world, with his Golden Sleight, 12 reindeer, his whole factory of elves and of course, Mrs Claus. All these, it really made mii re-think on how much fun I've been missing out ever since the day I walked out on childhood. And in this movie, the leader of the Guardians, as his role should be, bringing hope, joy and life to the children of the world. No matter where they are, naughty or nice, he looks over them, lifting spirits of Christmas in the souls of them children.











6. Jack Frost

  Last but not least, the main character in this story, Jack Frost. Honestly speaking, this movie speaks the truth. Children of the world, they know, they believe in those other characters mentioned above. But who's Jack Frost? As a child, my mum too kept telling mii to watch out that Jack Frost might get mii whenever a cold weather descends upon. But who he really was, I too did not know, and I even thought it was just a metaphor to describe the cold weather, like 'cold bites frost' something like that. Maybe through this movie, people may get to know him a little better. Who knows, he might for once at last, be listened to, be known of his existence, and believed in by children of the world. Who knows, he might just be out there, smiling upon them children as he's finally gained acknowledgement.











  No matter what it is, whether you've known of these childhood-fantasy characters, this is really a movie to enjoy and indulge in. Those magical moments, the story line and the graphics, they are all simply awesome, certainly a movie to go for as a warm-up for the upcoming Christmas. Do enjoy the movie, it's a waste to miss this really.




Signing off,
Nickel Low CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment